Capillary Tube Viscosimeter
The liquid whose flow characteristics are to be investigated is placed in a removable thermostatically controlled vessel which may be pressurised. The vessel supplies a capillary tube which is also thermostatically controlled and interchangeable. The level of pressurisation of the vessel and the temperature of the liquid can be continuously varied as required ; the liquid is continuously stirred to ensure that its temperature is uniform. The apparatus allows Poiseuille flows to be investigated and enables precise measurements to be made of the dynamic viscosities of liquids maintained at constant temperature, using the readings of a single pressure and a recorded time interval.
The following instrumentation is provided with the apparatus:
• A stopwatch for flow rate determination with a measuring cylinder.
• Capillary tube diameters : 0.2 and 0.4 mm.
• Temperature range : ambient to 80°C to 0.5°C.
• A thermostatically controlled vessel.
• A mercury manometer.
• A thermometer.
• A magnetic stirrer.
• Pressure range : 0 – 100 cm Hg.
• Dimensions : 37 x 65 x 40 cm high (without manometer) or 120 cm high (with manometer).
• Net weight : 20 kg